Banana Bread (low carb)
I love this Banana Bread recipe. It now replaces the easy Almond Flour only version I used to bake from Elana's Pantry. I love, love, love cooking with Almond Flour but its very moist. Too moist *sometimes* so I started leaning towards a bit of Coconut Flour to even things out. Some folks just don't like Coconut flour and for those perhaps this recipe is not for you. But for me, I like what Coconut Flour brings to the table (like fiber), aroma, flavor and healthy fats. This Bread is a staple at my house now and it is baked at least once a week!!!
Note: You all probably know by now that we are a Paleo household, and lately we have been leaning towards Mark Sisson's Primal BluePrint. With that said, the gum is not on either of those diets. LOL. I wanted to use something to bring this bread together more tho so I use the 1/2 teaspoon of the gum against the rules. I'm a rule breaker, what can I say... :-).
1/3 c. Coconut Flour
2/3 c. Almond Flour
1/4 tsp Salt
1/2 tea Xanthan Gum (optional)
1 tsp. Baking Powder
A replacement for those who can't find decent baking powder:
(1/4 tsp baking soda + 1/2 tsp cream of tartar)
1/3 c. Stevia or Swerve
1 stick butter, unsalted, melted
3 T. Coconut Oil, liquified
1 tsp. Vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- Grease a loaf pan with a bit of coconut oil, butter or olive oil spray.
- I used this pan from Pyrex (approx. 7.5 x 3.5 pan) I use an odd-size loaf pan 4″x 2½x 10″ that allows banana bread to rise up and look incredible.
- Puree two large very ripe bananas in a food processor until liquified.
- Mix dry ingredients in a food processor. Pulse to fully combine dry ingredients.
- Add in an egg and combine.
- Melt butter and coconut oil in a microwavable safe bowl. Add to batter along with Vanilla.
- Fully puree batter until smooth.
- Pour batter into greased pan.
- Bake at 350º for 45 minutes or until a toothpick stuck into the center comes out dry/clean.