Lemon Meringue Cookies
I had a few leftover ingredients from my various experiments and needed a quick dessert idea. I have seen this done as a flat cookie before and had it in mind to try this for quite some time now but it seemed like too much trouble. It is a bit much to do considering the three different components. But I had the sugar cookie dough in the fridge, same with the curd. But it could just as easily be done with store bought cookie dough and jarred lemon curd.
1 Batch of Sugar Cookie Dough
1 Batch of Filling from Lemon Cake Recipe
1 Batch of Meringue
Sugar Cookie Dough:
21 ounce Vanilla Cake Mix (I used this because I had tons of it)1/4 cup Additional Flour Blend
1 cup Butter flavored Crisco
1/2 cup Butter Flavored Shortening
1/4 cup Sugar
2 Whole Eggs
1 Egg Yolk
1 teaspoon Vanilla
1 teaspoon Baking Powder
1/2 teaspoon Salt
3/4 cup granulated sugar2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/8 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup cold water
2 egg yolks, slightly beaten
1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
Juice of medium lemon
1 tablespoon butter or margarine
1/4 teaspoon Cream of Tartar
1/4 cup Sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- First make Lemon Curd. In a small saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch and salt. Gradually add water and whisk until well blended. Whisk in egg yolks, lemon peel and lemon juice. Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly; until thick and bubbly. Boil one minute; remove from heat. Stir in butter. Chill in refrigerator until ready to use. You, of course, could use prepared store bought filling as well.
- Add cookie dough ingredients in a mixing bowl and blend until well combined. Press unbaked cookie dough into small sized cupcake pan leaving space to form a pie crust.
- Spoon cooked and cooled Lemon Curd filling into mini pie crusts.
- Place meringue ingredients into mixing bowl and beat to firm stiff peaks. Place meringue into piping bag. Swirl over top to cover Meringue.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 10 - 13 minutes.