Udi's Bread Copy Cat Recipe ~ Take 2
The first loaf I made was 4 ounces heavier than it should have been so I decided to tweak it. I did not change much but the sole purpose of this experiment was to create an exact duplicate. This time I used powdered egg whites because that is what I think a mass production bakery would use. I also used slightly more water, slightly less flour.
This version turned out much more like Udi's Gluten Free White statistics wise. I have no idea why, I am not really a scientist. The air holes are larger, the size of the slices are almost exact, the color of the crust was even the same. I believe the harder the crust is, the less likely it is to shrink.
I did not have a loaf of Udi's this time to compare in a blind taste test. The taste and texture is great none the less and it toasts nicely. My next step is to try this in my bread machine.
1 cup Tapioca Starch
1/2 cup Brown Rice Flour
1/4 cup Potato Starch
2 Tablespoons Oil
2 Tablespoons Egg White Powder
2 Tablespoons Sugar
2 teaspoons Yeast
2 teaspoon Xanthan Gum
1 teaspoon Salt
1 teaspoon Baking Powder
1/2 teaspoon vinegar
3/4 cup PLUS 2 Tablespoons Warm Water
Preheat oven to 170 degrees. Once preheated turn oven off.
Lightly grease an 8 x 3 bread pan. I used a small foil loaf pan.
- Fill a measuring cup with 3/4's cup of warm water.
- Add 2 Tablespoons egg powder to bowl along with 2 Tablespoons of warm water.
- Add 4 Tablespoons of the water from the 3/4's full measuring cup.
- Allow egg mixture to sit until powder is dissolved.
- Add sugar and yeast to the remaining water and allow to sit until a slightly foamy layer forms on top.
- Place egg whites into stand mixer and mix until soft peaks form.
- Add Sugar/Yeast mixture, oil, vinegar, xanthan gum, salt, baking powder and flours in mixer with whip attachment and whip for 3 or 4 minutes.
- Add batter in oiled 8 x 3 pan. Batter will be slightly thick like room temperature cream cheese.
- Place pan in warmed oven to rise about 1 hour.
- Take bread out of oven and preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray top of bread with Pam.
- Bake for 75 minutes.
- Take out of oven and let rest 10 minutes in the pan.
- Remove from pan and continue cooling on a rack.
- Dont rush the cooling step, it needs to cool properly or you will squash the bread height.
If you prefer to use real eggs, as I do, please also see: