Saturday, November 14, 2009

Potato Gnocchi

Gluten Free Potato Gnocchi that is.

A little history first, my mother is 100% Italian.  She was brought up speaking Italian and learned English though the public school system. She would pronounce Gnocchi's entirely different from the rest of the folks I ever knew. Her pronunciation is more like (Nuuck ki).

 Eating Gnocchi is one of the things I remember about my childhood. I think that at one time or another we all travel back and re-visit what we enjoyed as kids with our parents. So when I was faced with what to do with a 20 pound bag of potatoes (that I secured for a super good deal of $2.50/20 lb.) my mind goes right there.....all six of us around the dinner table eating Gnocchi.  I immediately knew what my newest mission was going to be.  I had to replace this old Italian custom in a gluten free way.  Not just any old way, but a recipe that received my mothers stamp of approval.  I set out to test a bunch of different recipes on that 20 pound bag of potatoes, just for fun [beCause I'm crazy like that ;-) ]. There were issues of course with the majority of methods I found.  If you add too much Gum or not enough flour it turns out slimy (which is gross).  Not enough gum or flour and they start to fall apart and this sort of failure is tragic considering the work invloved.  I finally mastered a recipe that works.  The best part? This recipe has my Italian mothers stamp of approval.  She says, "try it, you'll like it".





2 lb Potatoes
1 cup Brown Rice flour (or your preferred blend)
¾ cup Potato Flakes (or Potato Starch)
1/4 Corn Starch
1/2 teaspoon Xanthan Gum
1 Tablespoon Butter (or olive oil)
2 Tablespoons grated Parmesan
2 Eggs
Salt to taste

  • Peel quarter potatoes.
  • Boil potatoes for 20-25 minutes or until soft and cooked. Drain and mash.
  • Put mashed potatoes into bowl and add rice flour, potato starch/flakes, butter, eggs and salt.
  • Mix together well until all ingredients come together.
  • Take dough out of bowl and place onto a lightly dusted (with potato starch) board.
  • Knead dough lightly to ensure all ingredients are mixed well.
  • Using a knife cut off small portions of dough and roll into long snakes
  • Dusting your board with more potato starch, cut snakes into 1½ inch lengths.
  • (Optional) Press down lightly in the center of each with a fork – this gives the gnocchi a better looking shape and also helps the sauce stick to the gnocchi much like shaped pasta traps sauce.
  • Place gnocchi in salted boiling water.
  • Gnocchi will only take a few minutes to cook. As the gnocchi rise
  • to the surface of the water, remove with a slotted spoon.
  • Continue to cook in batches until all are cooked. Don’t overcrowd the pot or the gnocchi will stick together.

TIP: You can store gnocchi in the freezer. Just stop at step 9.  Simply Freeze separate on a cookie sheet and place into a zip lock once frozen.

To cook from frozen simply put straight into boiling water – no need to defrost! 
Print

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...