Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Reward Charts

Reward Charts

I don't know about you, but there are so many times in my life when I think to myself, "this is crazy, I don't know what to do. This is only my first 6 year old ever". Like when my child's teacher comes to me with the news that my child seems to have difficulty paying attention in class.

My child is borderline ADD (so I'm told from school). The teachers suggest I get him medically evaluated for drugs. I really don't like the medicated route. I know they work, I've seen it with my sister's kid. But I feel very strongly that if god did not provide it in nature, I wont give it to him. No pharmaceuticals for this family thankyouverymuch.

Super Nanny to the rescue. Have you ever seen that show? Well her web site is a huge resource to perform theses very same miracles yourself. Just click here and see for yourself.

So with my newfound knowledge in hand I set out for my newest journey. A new family routine. A new set of house rules. A new stool in the corner for punishment. And last and most certainly not least, a reward chart. My son's teacher has also been instructed to place in him the corner after fair warning to follow the rules. For a 6/7 year old, this most certainly will be not ideal. I'm pretty sure he will make sure he wont get into that corner.

Each day I drop my kids off, pop my head into my sons room and find out how he did (did he have to be sent to the corner at all?). If he did well he gets a star for his chart. 30 stars means a reward. Something he has been after in the worst way.

So far, so good. He claims to be doing his best. He actually gets to have recess these days which I'm very happy about.

For more useful tips visit Works for Me Wednesday.


Print

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great idea! Keep us posted on how it works out for you!

    BTW~ love the new look!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are also great reward and routine charts available at www.littlebillies.net.

    Good luck with your son, at least it sounds like his teacher is helpful!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...