1 16 ounce bag of Navy Beans, dry
8 cups of Water
1 bag of Mirepoix soup blend of frozen veggies (onions, carrots, celery)
7 cups of Water
1 teaspoon Salt
1/2 teaspoon Thyme
2 pounds of Ham plus Bone or Ham Hocks
- Rince and sort though beans to remove any debris.
- Add beans and water in a large pot with lid. Allow to sit soak overnight or at least 7 hours.
- Drain and rince soaked beans bright and early the next morning.
- Add soaked beans, veggies, water, boullion, salt, thyme and ham into crock pot.
- Set on high and cook for 10 hours. Soup should thicken as it cooks.
- Fish out soup bones and chop up meat that has fallen off the bone.
- Add ham back to the pot.
- Soup is ready when beans are tender and broth is thickened.
- For a nice tough, remove 1/3 cup of beans and puree until smooth. Stir back in.