Knorr/Lipton Rice and Sauce used to be a staple around here. That is before we went Gluten Free due to Celiac. You know what? It really is not all that difficult to make this yourself. The original version actually has vermicelli (spaghetti) in it, I am not adding that to my recipe. Please allow me to introduce to you my gluten free copycat for Lipton Rice & Sauce, Cheddar Broccoli.
1 cup Rice
3 cups Broth or water with 3 Herb Ox Chicken bouillon cubes
1 teaspoon Minced Onion (spice)
1/4 teaspoon Salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 package of frozen broccoli spears, chopped small
1 cup Extra Sharp shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Add Rice, broth/water, onion, salt and pepper into medium sauce pan.
- Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove lid and add Frozen broccoli.
- Continue to cook for 10 more minutes or until most of the water is absorbed and rice is tender. You don't want all of the water totally absorbed and the rice completely dry. You want some to remain to create the sauce. Add more water if necessary.
- Stir in cheese until melted.