My mother is a Lemon Meringue Pie traditionalist. She wants the old fashioned Lemon Curd style pie. Please do not put that condensed milk in her pie thankyouverymuch!!!! LOL. But for us, we are perfectly happy with our pies made this way. I find it much easier to do. So if you are coming to our house and Lemon Pie is on the menu, expect it to be this one.
1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup lemon juice
3 egg yolks
1 (8-inch) prebaked pie shell or crumb crust
1 box of Lemon Cookies
4 Tablespoons Butter/Margarine, melted
4 Tablespoons Sugar
4 egg whites, room temperature
1/4 cup sugar
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- If you are making your own cookie crust, puree cookies in mixer until finely ground.
- Add melted butter and sugar until mixture stays together when pressed between your fingers.
- Dump crumb mixture into greased pie plate and press to sides.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Take our and cool.
- Note: Use any cookie you like. Pamela's Lemon Shortbread is nice, I have used Mi-Del Pecan or KinniKinnick has Graham Crackers that would work nicely also.
- Next, the filling. In medium bowl, combine milk and lemon juice
- Add in egg yolks and combine well.
- Pour into cooled crust.
- Finally the meringue. In the bowl of your stand mixer, add egg whites and whip until soft peaks from. Soft peaks are when the eggs become white in color and when you pull beater out of eggs the egg pulls out to form a peak and then bends back over slightly.
- Add in the sugar and continue to whip until stiff. Still is the peak is able to stand up straight on its own.
- Spread over filling making sure to seal to the edge of the crust. I actually seal mine to the pie plate itself because its difficult to do so with a cookie crumb crust sometimes.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until meringue is golden brown.