The idea for this cookie originated from the Gluten Version over at Betty Crocker. I wanted to see if a cake mix would do in place of the pre-packaged cookie mix. It did. The tint is not really necessary but we tinted these cookies green so they would be festive for Saint Patricks Day! That and the fact that they look and taste JUST LIKE the ice cream. Man, were they good. Only two made it though the night from the whole dozen and a half batch. Now THAT is a good cookie! I am thinking next time to add some frosting between two cookies to make a sandwich. The best part is they taste just like a Girl Scout Thin Mint cookie. Just close your eyes and bite into the cookie and recall just how good they were! :-)
1 box (15 ounces) Yellow or White Gluten Free Cake Mix
1 Tablespoon Vanilla Instant Jell-O Puidding
1/2 cup (1 stick) Butter or Margarine, room temperature
1/4 teaspoon Mint Extract
7 drops Green Food Color
1 cup Creme De Menthe baking chips
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Like Baking Sheet with Parchment Paper.
- In bowl of stand mixer, add mix, butter or margarine, extract, food coloring and egg.
- Mix until incorporated. Batter will still be very crumbly.
- Take bowl off mixer and continue to kneed batter with your hands until mix just starts to stay together on its own.
- Add baking chips and mix well, again with your hands.
- Using a tablespoon, drop dough onto parchment paper lined baking sheet 2 inches apart.
- Flatten balls of dough slightly.
- Bake for 11-12 minutes or until set.
- Cool 3 minutes on baking sheet.
Recipe Inspiration: Betty Crocker Sugar Cookie Mix Recipes