I have since come to learn that this type of cookie goes by many names. Wedding Cakes, Wedding Balls, Mexican Wedding Cookies, Russian Tea cakes, snow balls. I believe the list goes on and on.
The recipe I am using here is the recipe I used way back when, before we were Gluten Free. I have made them gluten free by simply using a gluten free flour blend and some Xanthan Gum. The remaining ingredients remained the same and the cookies turned out just
1 cup Butter, room temperature
1/2 cup Powdered Sugar
2 teaspoons Vanilla
1/4 teaspoon Salt
2 cups Flour
(1 c sorghum, 1/2 cup Tapioca, 1/2 SF Brown Rice & 1 teaspoon Xanthan Gum)
1 cup chopped Pecans
1 cup Powdered Sugar (to roll cookies in)
- Add Butter, Sugar, Vanilla and Salt to mixing bowl.
- Whip for several minutes until throughly incorporated.
- Add Pecans and Flour and beat for a minute more. You may need to hand mix to fully incorporate.
- Using a tablespoon or a cooking scoop, scoop out dough and roll into a ball (like you are rolling meatballs).
- Place directly on baking sheet and cook at 350 degrees for 8to 10 minutes. Cookies will not turn brown, just brown slightly on the bottom. (Cookies should keep their round shape.)
- Remove from oven and roll in powdered sugar as soon as you can handle them. (Use caution when rolling in brown sugar. If you squeeze them too hard they will crumble. This improves while cooling but then the sugar wont stick.)