1 package of Betty Crocker Gluten Free Yellow Cake Mix
1 3.8 ounce box of Jello Lemon Pudding
1/3 cup Sugar
1/2 cup Oil
3/4 cup Water
1/2 teaspoon Lemon Extract
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/8 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup cold water
2 egg yolks, slightly beaten
1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
Juice of medium lemon
1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Greece 2-8" cake pans.
- Add Cake Mix, Jello Pudding, Sugar, Eggs, Oil, Water and Extract to mixing bowl. Mix for 2-3 minutes or until well combined.
- Divide batter evenly between two pans. Bake for 41 to 46 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- While baking make filling. In a small saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch and salt. Gradually add water and whisk until well blended. Whisk in egg yolks, lemon peel and lemon juice. Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly; until thick and bubbly. Boil one minute; remove from heat. Stir in butter. Chill in refrigerator until ready to use. You, of course, could use prepared store bought filling as well.
- Cool layers completely and add first layer onto plate or cake stand. Spread a nice thick layer of the lemon filling on top and place back into the refrigerator for 15 minutes to set. Top with remaining layer and frost with Betty Crocker Lemon Frosting.