Thursday, August 12, 2010

The Lunch Box Experiment


Last year when my son was in school he would occasionally pack his lunch.  When that happened he would always want me to include a paper plate to eat off of.  This year my youngest child with allergies will start school so I plan to pack every day for the both of them.  I started to think about a better solution to the paper plate issue.  A greener solution.

I really like the looks of some of those "other" 3 compartment lunch box systems.  The first thing I do with any purchase is try to source items locally.  I want to keep my business in my local community.  So I typed in the Google search engine, "3 compartment container".

Did you know that Ziploc is also BPA and Dioxin free?  I did not realize that at first. I also did not know that they too offer a 3 compartment container.  Both containers have a #5 recycle number on them. I would love to know how Ziploc containers compare thickness wise to that other lunchbox system.  I would also like to know if the other containers are as liquid secure as the Ziploc snap to lock containers. But that will have to wait until another time.  How sturdy will Ziploc be?  I myself have had some of those Ziploc throw away/keep containers for years so I'm not too worried about that.

I set out to find a good sale at our local store and along with my Ziploc coupons found on the Right at Home web site for $1.50 off 2 products (I printed THIS coupon).  The 2 pack of containers were $4 at Walmart.  $8 for two packs minus the $1.50 coupon.  $6.50 for 4 or $1.62 each.

See the fit in there perfectly without turning them sideways.
Plust there is still plenty of room for drinks and snacks.



Kmart : 
Arctic Zone on sale for $5.00

Target:
Embart on sale for $7.00

Total Spent: $18.50.


Stick around and watch me compare the two products in detail.  I will also be hosting a lunchbox related giveaway.



I will be posting this to:

Print

12 comments:

  1. I did not know Ziploc had a 3-compartment container, are they new?

    xo,
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey - I didn't know you were blogging. Check out my blog at http://mymommyadventure.blogspot.com

    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really looking forward to reading your comparison of the two items!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have no idea if it is new or not. Just started doing my research. My son at school lunches last year and gained 20 lbs doing so.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi just stopping by from relax and surf sunday! i love finding recipe blogs. I'm your newest follower. Feel free to stop by my blog and enter my first giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stumbled across your blog on the Relax & Surf Sunday Hop. :) I have a good friend who has just put her youngest on a gluten-free diet. This blog would be a GOLD MINE for her...sending her the URL right now. :)

    -Sue
    thedesperatehousemommy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a hard time finding those ziplock compartment containers.


    Thanks for stopping by and linking up with Relax & Surf Sunday!

    I'm following you.

    Colleen
    http://www.shibleysmiles.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am your new follower. You can visit me at http://showmemama.blogspot.com. Leave me a comment, so I know you visited.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello, I am a new follower from Relax & Surf Sunday. I look forward to reading new posts from you.

    http://glamourgirlreviews.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad to have found your blog! I couldn't find the compartment containers at our local Wal-Mart, but it's so small so doesn't surprise me. Can't wait to read your review.

    I am your newest follower from the blog hop.

    If you get the chance, would love for you to come visit me at my blog!

    Hazel
    Critique of the Unique
    http://critiqueoftheunique.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lisa - good thinking! I have a little "lunchbox" related giveaway right now, and soon a tutorial to follow. I'm enjoying the blog! - Another Lisa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Have you ever tried the Lock and Lock containers from QVC ?? They are great and spill proof, I use them all them for packing lunch, I have even dropped one before and nothing spilled out.

    Colette

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...