This time, Chicken and Dumplings. This dish was alway a favorite dish in our house during our gluten eating days. Since then, my attempt to make gluten free dumplings were not up to par. They were always very dense and the resulting broth never was thickened like it used to be. This recipe fixed all those problems. The dumplings were nice and light. The broth was nicely flavored and thickened. The spring board for this recipe is Betty Crocker's Gluten Free Biquick posted version. In my usual fashion, I changed it up a bit. I'm making the broth from scratch using a whole fryer chicken (you can find usually on a good sale on these). I am utilizing a crock pot for the broth in the morning before I head out. I think even a working mother could make this before she runs out in the morning. If you forget, don't sweat it. Just use canned broth and add some Bouillon.
Just look how light and fluffy they look.
My children can't get enough of these light and fluffy dumplings
Chicken and Stew:
3 pound whole Fryer Chicken
2 quarts of water (8 cups)
6 Herb-ox Bouillon cubes
1/4 teaspoon Pepper
1 1/2 cups Bisquick GF Mix
2/3 cup Milk
1/4 cup Oil
1 tablespoon Parsley (optional)
- Add chicken, bouillon, water and pepper in crock pot first thing in the morning or the night before. Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
- Note: This part can be done first thing in the morning while you are pouring your morning coffee. Just set it and forget it.
- If you are making the broth in the morning, it is a good idea to use a measuring cup designed to remove the grease before moving to the next step.
- After chicken is poached, remove chicken from bones and skin. Give it a large dice.
- If you cooked your chicken the night before, place both in the fridge so your fat solidifies for easy removal.
- Add broth to a saucepan and bring to a simmer.
- In a small bowl, stir dumpling ingredients with fork until blended. Set aside for a second.
- Add diced chicken into simmering broth.
- Gently drop dough by teaspoons (or tablespoons depending how you like it) full into simmering chicken mixture.
- Cook uncovered over low heat for 10 minutes. Cover and cook 15 minutes longer.