Monday, December 28, 2009

Philadelphia Cheesesteak Soup

This soup is one of my favorite things to do with leftover roast beef.  A real Philadelphian knows what cheese steaks are made of. In my travels I have seen some hysterical attempts at a copy.  I use whatever cheese in this soup I happen to have on hand though. Velveeta would be the appropriate switch for the a more authentic flavor but any way you choose, it will taste surprisingly good.



Philadelphia Cheesesteak Soup

3/4 cup butter
1 tablespoon oil
1 green pepper (or 1 cup frozen diced)
1 medium onion (or 1 cup frozen diced)
8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
2 tablespoons corn starch
6 cups milk
1 can beef broth
1 beef bouillon cube
2 cups leftover roast beef , diced
8 ounces cheese (provolone, velveeta, or any)
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper

Melt butter and oil in large heavy bottomed stock pot or dutch oven over medium heat.

Add green peppers, onions and mushrooms and saute until tender (about 5 minutes).

Add cornstarch to milk, stir to dissolve. Add to vegetables and stir in bouillon, slowly whisking to incorporate. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until thickened. Add salt, pepper and beef.

If you prefer flour to starch, add flour to vegetables and cook while stirring for 3-5 minutes. Then add milk and stir until incorporated.

Slowly stir in cheese until all is melted.




Print

9 comments:

  1. This looks SO good! My husband will love it. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like something I would really enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yumm, this looks amazing! Thanks for sharing! Stop on over for a visit sometime!!

    Cara

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks delish! Will have to try it...thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea for a warming and delicious soup! Thanks for sharing it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love soup and will enjoy experimenting with this in a month or so from now, when I crave soup.

    Right now I'm still lovin' ice cream. ;)

    Thanks for linking to Food on Fridays!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OK, now you have me wanting ice cream!!! LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow -- I have to make this, my husband will love it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...