Thursday, November 12, 2009

Taco Dinner

This post is for my mother.  She recently asked me to tell her how I go about making taco dinner for my family.  She was looking for something special yet easy to make as a congratulatory dinner.  Taco's happen to be this families favorite dinner.  I will never forget the first time I was served taco's for dinner at a friends house.  I remember thinking how creative and ingenious this home maker mommy was.  Truthfully, the thought never occurred to me to make my own taco's at home. Sounds silly now, I know, but sometimes you just get so used to that ole TB drive through.  We can no longer enjoy that drive though but enjoy taco's even better our way at home.

For my own family I make the refried beans from whole beans in the crock pot first thing in the morning and make gluten free soft taco shells later that same day.  My mom works so that scenario is un-realistic for her.  In fact, it may be unrealistic for all working mom's as well.

Taco Dinner:

1 pound roll of Ground Beef
1 packet of McCormick Taco Seasoning or My Own Blend
1 large can of Old El Passo Refried Beans or Home Made Refried Beans
1 pack of small soft Corn taco shells (Lightly fried on each side)
1 pack of hard Corn taco shells
Head of lettuce (shredded)
Tomatoes
cheddar cheese (i like sharp)
sour cream

Brown ground beef making sure to crumble meat as it cooks with a wooden spoon. Once beef is cooked through and no longer pink, add taco seasoning packet and water (usually 2/3 cup but follow amount on back of packet).

Meanwhile cook rice according to directions. 

Place refried beans in microwave and cook about 2-3 minutes.

While all that is going on, slice lettuce head in half and then in quarters. Take each quarter and make very thin slices to form shreds. Dice tomatoes.

Cook hard taco shells according to package directions (usually for a few minutes at 350).

Lightly fry the soft corn shells if you are using them.  Sometimes we also just microwave them for a minute to make they pliable.

Place seasoned ground beef, rice, refried beans, warm hard taco shells, warm soft taco shells, lettuce shreds, diced tomatoes, shredded cheddar cheese and sour cream on table and enjoy.

Print

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...