Saturday, November 14, 2009

Make Ahead Mashed Potatoes

When I started out doing Thanksgiving dinners, I would have never imagined making the mashed potatoes ahead of time.  When a friend of mine suggested she was making this dish for a party she was going to, I was stunned.  Seriously, "I thought"??? The very idea of having my all time favorite side dish at the ready for any time I wanted was an incredible idea. It was quite a revelation.  Every time potatoes go on sale now, I get lots of them now and make these up.  


5 pounds potatoes, peeled & quartered
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
8 ounces sour cream
4 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup Milk
1 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoons pepper
1 teaspoons onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 Tablespoon Butter, Melted for the top


  • Boil potatoes until tender.
  • Beat softened cream cheese, sour cream, butter, hot potatoes, and seasonings. 
  • Beat until smooth adding small amounts of milk as needed
  • Pour into 2 8x8 casserole dishes for freezing or enjoy as is.
  • After defrosting ~ to serve: Place thawed potatoes in a crock pot and cook on low for 2-3 hours. This option is great for keeping it warm for a big dinner. 
  • Alternatively, top thawed casserole dish with melted butter.  Place in oven to bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Double bake time if not thawed.

Note: I occasionally add an egg if I am going to be baking them in the oven.  I think this allows them to stay light and fluffy.  It is not necessary though.

Print

1 comment:

  1. I ended up increasing the salt 1/2 tea, and doubling the garlic and onion powders.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...