Sunday, November 8, 2009

Cream of (insert kind here) Soup

I am really seriously considering eliminating canned cream of whatever soups. I'm going to start making this ahead and keeping it in the freezer along with my other make ahead convenience foods. I love using cream soups for cooking but I strongly feel that I need to move away from my canned with preservatives addiction.

2 teaspoons oil
1 cup veggies of choice (chopped ~ maybe onions, celery)
1/2 cup of kind (cooked shreaded chicken, mushrooms, whatever flavor your soup will be)
1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder or fresh clove of garlic
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon parsley
1 cup Powdered Milk (sub 1-1/2 cup broth and 1-1/2 milk if you dont use powder)
1/4 cup Cornstarch
1/4 cup Potato Starch

Non GF version (trade in cornstarch and Potato starch for 3/4 cup flour)

Add vegetables and oil to pot with oil and cook until translucent.

(add flour at this point for non GF and cook for 3 minutes).

Add broth and bring to boil. Turn down and simmer for 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.

Add meat and cook until heated through.

Add powdered milk, corn starch and potato starch to soup. Whisk and cook until soup is thickened making sure that starches do not stick to the bottom.

Print

1 comment:

  1. What a GREAT!!! recipe, I like the fact that you can use any kind of veggies and meat.
    Geri

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...