Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Apple Butter in the Crock Pot

3- 3 lb (50 oz) jars unsweetened apple sauce

3 lbs granny smith apples (3/4 apples)
4 cups sugar

1/2 cups apple juice
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp cloves
1 tsp allspice

Peel and cut apples into small chips.

Place 2 jars of apple sauce, 4 cups sugar, 2 teaspoons cinnamon, 1 teaspoon cloves and 1 teaspoon allspice in the crock pot and stir.

Cover and cook on low overnight (ten hours or so until reduced by at least 2 inches). I cooked mine overnight on low.

In the morning, Remove cover, stir and taste. Add more spices or sugar if desired. Add another 50 oz container of apple sauce and continue cooking for a few more hours or until reduced to 3/4's of pot, uncovered (takes my crock pot another 8 hours with lid on and overnight again with lid propped up. I think a newer pot would be just fine with 8 hours with lid up). Final product will be dark and will be almost caramelized and a rich dark color. I use a wooden spoon to prop lid open. It is important that the lid is off or propped up to allow the steam to escape so butter can reduce.

Emulsify the hot apple butter until smooth.

Pour into jars and refrigerate or can properly (hot sterile jars/hot sauce/hot lids and cook for 10 minutes)


This recipe is posted:


Print

6 comments:

  1. I think that this might be my first canning project. I'm afraid to attempt it though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go for it, you will feel so accomplished. Hubs and I would jar our pasta sauce and I think I'll start that up again too. For the price of two jars I can have a TON of sauce. The canning process itself is so incredibly easy. Hot sterilized jars (from dish washer if yours sterilizes), hot product and hot lid on top and boil in two inches of water for 10/15 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like apple butter. My grandma always had apple butter to spread on homemade bread or biscuits. THANKS!!! for the recipe. Geri

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE me some Apple Butter! Thanks for Sharing!

    Marti @ Forking It!

    ReplyDelete
  5. For as much as I love apples, I have yet to make apple butter! Thanks for the great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never made apple butter, but you make it seem really easy!

    Thanks for sharing with TATT!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...