This is a modified, quick and easy, Whole Foods version of the recipe I used to make and posted on the blog previously. That older version used pantry items and leftovers... Which is fine. But people change, right? This is what I make now while following our Paleo (and sometimes Low Carb) lifestyle. I am using Sour Cream, though, and I believe it is considered Primal. It is Low Carb, tho, at least. We have no dairy issues in our house so Heavy Cream, Sour Cream and Sharp Cheese make it into our menu on minimal levels. Go ahead and sub Coconut Milk to be fully Paleo compliant if you wish! The result will still be fantastic!
4 Tablespoons Butter
4 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1 teaspoon Mrs. Dash
1 pound steak, sliced
8 ounces Baby Bella Mushrooms, Sliced
1/4 cup dehydrated Onion
2 cloves Garlic
1 cup Beef Stock (good quality)
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1/2 teaspoon Pepper
1/2 teaspoon Paprika
1 cup whole cream Sour Cream (or Coconut Milk [the thicker top part] for Paleo)
2 tablespoons Arrowroot Powder
- Sprinkle the steak strips with Mrs. Dash Seasoning to light cover them.
- In a large skillet, quickly brown steak strips on both sides in the olive oil and butter.
- Remove the steak from the pan. Add the mushrooms, onion and garlic to the pan drippings.
- Saute for a few minutes, until the mushrooms are tender.
- Put the steak back into the pan with the onion and mushrooms.
- Add in the beef broth, salt, pepper, paprika.
- Cook over low heat for about 20 minutes, covered.
- Stir in the sour cream and arrowroot the last few minutes.
- Stir till slightly thickened.
- We serve over cauliflower rice. Spaghetti squash would be a good choice too. Or how about zucchini noodles (if you are the kind who does that)...